A brief history of The Glasgow HIgh School Club Limited
The 1919 Memorandum of Association of The Glasgow High School Club Limited stated that its objects included the promotion generally of the interests of the High School of Glasgow, to form a bond of union among its former pupils, and to foster among them a combined interest in its well being. Since that time the Club has been fundamental in ensuring the continuation of the High School of Glasgow. In 1976 it was instrumental in the location of the High School on ground belonging to the Club in Old Anniesland, after the School was forced by the then Council to remove from the premises in Elmbank Street, Glasgow .
The Club formation extends back to the 19th century. In the early part of that century there were regular class dinners advertised in the newspapers of the time, and these gradually evolved into the formation of the Club in 1870. After early difficulties the Club went from strength to strength and indeed celebrated a centenary in the Central Hotel in Glasgow in 1970.
In 1924 the Club completed the purchase of 27 acres in Anniesland to be used as playing fields for the benefit of the School. These became known as Old Anniesland.
In 1927: Old Anniesland Memorial Pavilion opened.
In 1976 a part of Old Anniesland grounds were used for the construction of the current co-educational School, which opened for pupils in 1977.
The Club extended its membership by the formation of Clubs in London and abroad. The first overseas club was formed in Calcutta, India in the 1920's. Later Clubs opened in Canada, South Africa, Ceylon, Burma, and Hong Kong.
The London Club was formed in 1922, and still holds enjoyable annual dinners to which the School Rector, the School Prefects, and any other interested Club members are invited.
The Club now is responsible for the maintenance and operation of Old Anniesland and its sports sections include rugby, hockey, cricket, triathlon, and lacrosse all of which are based at Old Anniesland and play under the name of "GHK". In addition there are golf and angling sections which are still active. Premier 1 club Glasgow Hawks which was formed in 2007 as a joint venture between GHK and Glasgow Accies, also play their rugby at Old Anniesland.